Monday, March 30, 2009

일이삼사오육칠팔그십

So the title of this blog is 1-10 in korean. That is what I learned at my first Korean lesson Thursday. Pusan National University is providing free Korean lessons on Monday and Thursday. I learned everything dealing with numbers. While I was there I got my picture taken with my tutor. That picture was on the front page of the Busan paper today. Last week was pretty boring so nothing to tell.

This weekend was amazing!!! I met up with some people I met over the internet on www.koreaontherocks.com (KOTR) which is dedicated to getting outdoor people together for trips with what ever activity. I met a girl from Lubbock, TX and a guy that wrestled with my cusin Nick at Blue Valley-Stillwell (small world) at the bus station in Nopo-dong. From there we got on a bus to Gwanju (4 hours), then Gwanju to Gochang (1.5 hours) and then Gochang to Seonunsan Park (30 minutes). Took much longer to get there than we expected and none of us really knew where we were going.

Once we got there we started the search for the other KOTR folks. We walked down this trail for what seemed like forever and then up the side of this mountain looking for them. The view was awesome but we didn't find them there. We went down and decided we would just wander until we found them and then closer to night fall wait by the entrance. We really wanted to find them because of two reasons: Chris Sharma (more info to come) was supposed to be there and Charlie was our place to stay for the night. We took a chance and went up this other mountain and was pleasantly surprised when we finally found the KOTR folks but now Sharma, he left early.

I didn't have my gear so I just hung out and watched. We took a different route down and headed to a Chris Sharma ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoxtqBL5q3k&feature=related )and Daila Ojeda ( http://vodpod.com/watch/1108549-daila-ojeda-en-dr%C3%A1cula-13b-red-river-gorge )meet and greet. Sharma did a picture and video slide show and talked about himself. I got a picture with him and a signed poster from the two of him. The next day we got to watch him climb and take more pictures with him and of him. It was a sureal experience because I had spent the last few months of college watching his climbing videos with my climbing family back in Texas. He was the same in person as he was in the videos. I hated being one of "those people" but I couldn't help myself, after watching him on videos and all my friends back home almost obsessing, I would have regretted not getting pictures.

We left the park at 2:30 Sunday evening for another long list of buses. I got home about 9:45 or so, took a shower, and passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment