Monday, March 23, 2009

Gombae...Is that still moving??

Friday night was the dinner with the school. We went down to Song-jong beach and had dinner at this place over looking the ocean. Dinner was Korean style (sitting on a floor with a small table) and all the food sitting in the middle of the table to be shared by the 4 people sitting there. I’m not exactly sure what all I ate but I told myself before the night started that I would try everything. Started out with some raw stuff, one of which was still moving, and then the food just kept coming out (along with the beer and soju). I ate some sea snails (cooked); monggae (aka sea squirt, raw, red balls with orange inside); raw sea cucumber; gae bul (aka sea penis); some other raw something that was chewy, crunchy, and slimy all at the same time; two kinds of whole fish; a plate of sashimi with no rice; seaweed; odd soup; and some other randomness that I can’t remember. There were many shots of soju going around and going with their tradition and culture I had to take some. Soju is like watered down vodka without the kick. Needless to say by the end of the night most everyone was slightly intoxicated if not drunk as a skunk. My vice-principle would take a sip of his shots everyone was pouring him and then dump the rest of it on a napkin or in a cup or the soup or anywhere he could find. (Pictures are soon to come)

After dinner we headed off to norae bong. They all get into norae bong so much and it is just a blast to watch and participate in. There were some snacks and more beer and soju here. I tried to catch the bus home around 9:30 but we couldn’t find the stop so I stayed with my co-teacher. Her apartment is awesome, all wood and huge. Saturday morning we had some McDonald’s for breakfast and she had to go to school so they dropped me off at home. I made them both lunch, which was Korean cuisine by way of Kansas cooking. They said it was pretty good so I was pleased.

Saturday afternoon I went to Gi-jang to walk around and do some shopping. While I was walking I saw some kids, I said, “Hello, how are you?” They said back, “I am fine thank you, how about you?” I felt like I was in class. Then there was a nice to meet you and a bye. It’s pretty cool that they are using what I am teaching in class. The new episode of Grey’s Anatomy and Hancock were the perfect night.

Sunday Jin and I went down to the international market, I think Texas street or somewhere around that. I figured I could buy some clothes or shoes down there. No such luck. Everywhere I went and asked for a size Extra Large-e they would shake their heads and put their arms up making an X. This was the same when it came to shopping for shoes. In stores if they did have my size it would be a huge cape looking shirt/dress and they wouldn’t let me try anything on. So I ended up buying another hat and a scarf, can’t go wrong with either of these. We called it an early day and I rode the subway for an hour and then the bus for a half hour. Watched Grand Torino as a night cap before getting super sick.

Today is just going to be a down day, class is over and I’m not planning anything for tonight besides movies and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment