Thursday, April 9, 2009

More eventful than I would have liked.

Again, last week was pretty boring but I found out that I was going to start teaching after school class this week by myself. That means no more lazy afternoons.

Friday I got to go with my co-teacher to Haeundae and go shopping for some furniture with the schools credit card. I bout a couch, coffee table, and a bedside table. What I found out is that Koreans love leather furniture. They had a total of 3 couches that were not leather. I wasn't crazy about the color (black and grey) because everything in my apartment was brown with some black in it. I got it Tuesday and it doesn't look to bad, now I just have to figure out where to put everything.

Saturday I was thinking of going bouldering with some friends in Busan but after reading that they were 20 foot or so boulders (no ropes). Didn't feel like getting hurt so I went to Haeundae beach and played beach volleyball all day with some foreigners. The weather was perfect and the view was amazing!!! This was taken right after I dove... why not strike a pose?!?!


After sand volleyball we headed to Dr. Fish. For those that have never heard of that, it's where you stick your feet in a bath
with tons of fish that eat the dead skin off your feet. That was by far the weirdest feeling in the world. The fish went to town on my feet. It was so funny to watch them because they would almost swim upside down to eat the top of your feet. Jin freaked out the whole time. I did at first but some Korean women said that that is how everyone is their first time, it takes time to get used to it.

Sunday I met up with Mack about 1.5 hours from where I live. I got there around 8:30 and met the owners of the gym he climbs at by his house. They were taking us what we thought was climbing and later found out it was mountaineering (climbing the ridge of a mountain top)
We climbed up to two different landings tied into a rope for safety. Then we repelled down to another landing before climbing up a next. Not sure I'm a fan of this climbing up then repelling down just to climb up again (with a back pack on). The third landing we were climbing up to, I was the 3rd one up. I slipped and fell. The person that was my belay (protection from falling) was not clipped in to the rock, so when I fell, I fell to the ground and he followed me. In a matter of seconds I fell 15 feet and rolled a bit down a hill and the person on the other end of the rope fell 25 feet and landed next to me. We were both fine for the most part, we were both able to hike out but he did go to the hospital to make sure everything was okay. God was definitely watching over me and I guess Buddha was doing the same in his case.

After that, I headed home but missed the bus because it was early. After the day I had I did not want to wait another 20 minutes for one so I took a 20,000 won taxi ride home. We passed the bus on the way and it was packed with people (like usual) so I would have been standing the whole ride home. At that point I was completely satisfied that I took the taxi (and it dropped me off at my door instead of me walking for 10 minutes home after the bus)

I started my after school classes this week. I have two second grade classes, one with 23 kids and another with 8. Neither class really understands anything I say and I don't understand anything they say. What do you do with 23 kids that you can't talk to and that can't talk to you?? Like a friend put it,"an adorable bunch of kids who look at you like Mr. Snuffleupagus on Sesame Street!" That about sums it up.

This weekend I'm super excited because I'm going climbing at Yongseo Pokpo...a friend said that is the most beautiful place he has climbed in korea and also the most quite. "You stand in an ampitheatre around a very high falls (50m?), surrounded by steep bluffs on 3 sides."

I'll let you know how that is!!! That is all for now

No comments:

Post a Comment